Saturday, July 22, 2006

"And she plays phone tag mom-all of the time!"

My nanny diaries saga must continue.

There are many things that a nanny must do in order to keep up with everything in the general household life. It's actually pretty tough at times having to juggle "mom" time with the kids and getting the daily chores done. So in some sense I feel like a housewife except for the 4 karat rock on my hand and my "plastic" body... (I know that was pretty rude.. but I had to interject that somehow. Not all housewives have that 4 karat ring and a plastic body.. Just where I roll these days.) My expectations are pretty high to some degree having to make sure "things" are being picked up, the laundry is done, and the dishes are taken care of... All of this in a full day along with the child rearing responsibilities. In my case the mother is around and I tend to take in whatever she doesn't have time because of her busy schedule of shopping and "appointments." So everything that I mentioned above plus more from time to time.
It fries me when I hear their mom coming to telling me that i talk way too much on the phone. Usually when i am on the phone, there is a consistency of me folding and putting away laundry or dishes being done, etc... And it's rare to find me picking up my phone and calling up a friend. It's usuallly me answering my phone and making short conversation with people. Yes, it's hard to believe I have short conversations with people on the phone.. But it's true. And then to make things worse, **** told her mom that i don't spend enough quality time with them because I am on the phone. I called bullshit! Do you realize that there is no happy medium when it comes to their mom because one minute the dishes and laundry all need to be done first before I hang out with the kids or it's the other way around. Grrr....Does she realize how much time I spend with them. And these kids aren't the easiest to motivate to go and do thngs because their mom is around.. Plus they know what buttons to push... they basically have their parents around their tiny little fingers.. I find myself pulling my hair out of my head beccause **** is crying and won't get his clothes on to go somewhere... Should I also mention that i am the one coordinating their social calender.. ie play dates... hmmmm... I am actually making sure that they get to have fun with their own friends.. Just because the babysitter ***** taught them how to play tennis and hold a tennis racket doesn't mean that i do that sort of stuff with them on a regular basis.. Who taught **** how to dive in the pool? Or what about tredding water... What about sitting down with her and working on the newspaper for days.. And the projects for school?! Or teaching them how to ride a bike........hmmmm.. The list could go on for days on what I do with these kids.. To make that comment about my phone next to my ear all of the time.. Ridiculous!!! She doesn't fully understand what I do on a daily basis because she is not always there to see those days go down. Those well-behaved kids that I get great comments about are because of me.. I hate to say it but it's true. i have taken time and energy to get them where they are today. And not all nannies invest this much time and energy into their charges but I have.. I am damn proud of it!! Because of me for this short time in their lives, they will have some kind of small responsibility or respect for their elders.....
Bleh.. Phone.. PHone.. She can stone me for using the phone...She just doesn't look at the bigger picture times because she is caught up with more of her drama....

No comments: